ECOLOGICALLY:
This mini-home comes equipped with a ladder for the loft (sleeping space); also a bathroom, but its bucket with sawdust does require a compost pile nearby!
A minimalist lifestyle is often associated with ecologically conscious folks who work at leaving as small a footprint as possible. In other words, they study ways in which to reduce the drain on our planet's resources generated by their own presence. That may include trying to build living spaces with less material, less waste, with a net result of significantly reduced CO2 emissions. "Small footprint living" intersects at times with Zen Buddhist concepts of simple living, clarity of mind, an uncluttered life.
My uneasiness about this comes from Jesus' own lifestyle and teaching. (Matthew 6:24-33) It would appear that we ought to be examples of the same principles: simple living, clarity of mind, an uncluttered life (1 Timothy 6:6-8).
But, no... like most humans, we seem to be devouring finite land and resources as if they were not finite. We treat our planet like a cheap Christmas toy... when it breaks, somebody somehow will just have to get us a new one. 21st Century demographics compel us to seek responsible, equitable, and sustainable life styles that offer us at least a glimmer of hope for our great grandchildren. Stoking consumerism to fire up our economies feels like a quick-fix approach that serves to protect the bottom line of a few at the top of the pile, but with no eye to the future.
I am to be a steward of my own body as the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19). How do I not think about the need for a healthy planet in order to maintain that healthy body?
At every level, we need the will power to leave a much smaller footprint... sort of like we see on the sign at the local park: "Leave it cleaner than you found it!"
ECCLESIASTICALLY:
In the computer world, the term SMALL FOOTPRINT is "used to describe micro-components that take less space inside a computer and software that occupies less space in memory..."
Small footprint software always gets my attention: programs that function rapidly and efficiently without compromising the entire system's performance. It took me a few tries, for example, to find a good antivirus software that really does run unnoticed in the background.
If a significant percentage of the people in our churches represents a high maintenance drain on the emotional and spiritual resources of the body, our outreach and capacity to attain broader goals will be restricted.
We need an increasing number of people who end up contributing to our churches' ministries more than what they take away; people who serve meaningfully and efficiently without the need for supervision, recognition, or extra face-time with the pastor; people who make wise decisions on their own within the context of their particular ministries; people who are not competing or protecting their own turf; people who cheerfully do everything as to the Lord and not to men. (Colossians 3:23)
"Small footprint" disciples work in such a way that you end up thinking more about Jesus than about them!
We can't just conjure up "small footprint" servants when we suddenly realize how much we need them. That caliber of disciple must be purposely prayed for, sought out and mentored. Yes, mentored... and guess who needs to do that mentoring? Yep... we do! The alternative is to just serve out our time and hope that we can continue putting out the fires set by the high maintenance people as they gradually take over the whole show. Pity the poor guy that has to wade into that mess after we are gone!
How we need to pray! First for one another... I don't think your obligation to prepare leaders for the next generation is any less or different than mine. If we are not training "small footprint" disciples, where will we find one when we need one?
Once again, less is more: programs, facilities, marketing? No. Better to pray, "Oh Lord, we need people with true servant hearts who love you more than anything!"
ETERNALLY:
When I think of my own life and ministry, I picture the Gospel, but with my muddy footprints smeared all over it.
Can you imagine leaving such a small footprint on the Gospel that there would not even be enough kindling to start a fire at the Judgment Seat of Christ? (1 Corinthians 3:11-15)
“He must increase, but I must decrease.” (John 3:30)
“The purpose of my ministry is to point men to him. When that is done my work is done. I came not to form a party of my own, nor to set up a religion of my own; and my teaching must cease when he is fully established, as the light of the morning star fades away and is lost in the beams of the rising sun.” (from Albert Barnes' Notes, Jn 3:30)

You make some interesting points in this blog. I can certainly think of many times in my life that I have 'bulldozed' into people's life and left some pretty large footprints that focused more on me than pointing them to God. It is indeed a sign of God's Spirit working that even one of these individuals came to know Christ despite me. I need to give more thought to what "He must increase, but I must decrease" should resemble. Sometimes I think I have an agenda, though I may not be entirely cognizant of that at the time. On a non-spiritually related matter...the tiny eco-friendly 'house' with the need for a compost pile...not happening!! :-)
ReplyDeleteRebekah L.
Thanks my friend, again you have captured a passions of mine and stated it so well.
ReplyDeleteBrother, you are the only friend I have who is able to begin with an eco-friendly small CO2 footprint illustration and segue into a Biblically thoughtful discussion on discipleship. Brilliant! (I agree with both of your points, by the way, but like Rebekah, you won't find me in the above pictured "Al Gore Suite"!)
ReplyDeleteMy favorite paragraph was: "We need an increasing number of people who end up contributing to our churches' ministries more than what they take away; people who serve meaningfully and efficiently without the need for supervision, recognition, or extra face-time with the pastor; people who make wise decisions on their own within the context of their particular ministries; people who are not competing or protecting their own turf; people who cheerfully do everything as to the Lord and not to men."
May I be the type of leader who develops this type of person.
Thank you, Brother,
ReplyDeleteI needed that reminder. While the goal is something I strive for, I need to remember to bring others along and share the passion. Thank you for doing that with this blog.
God Bless!
Bekah... thx! I think for all of us, as we look back, the one amazing thing that stands out is how the grace of God was always there in spite of us!
ReplyDeleteLarry... as always thank you for your encouraging words.
Bekah and Travis... for the record: no compost pile here yet, either! And I still need my Diet Cokes in 12 oz aluminum cans...
Joshua... thank you for the feedback. I need and value it!
ReplyDeleteExcellent meditation brother! Even as I read this, I am exhausting emotions and thoughts on the fires set by large footprints left by the Sasquatches of ministry.
ReplyDeleteI am persuaded to pray event more fervently as I click the "Post Comment" button.
I will take this thought with me throughout the day: "Can you imagine leaving such a small footprint on the Gospel that there would not even be enough kindling to start a fire at the Judgment Seat of Christ? (1 Corinthians 3:11-15)"
Thank You
After us being in the ministry since 1975 I pray that we have left very "small footprints". I do pray that my works for Christ and in His work have not been of wood, hay, straw and perishable substances....things done for me and not for Him. I pray that my life might be a small footprint but that lasts like gold in front of My God....that the souls that I've seen saved are as shing stars. LINDA
ReplyDeletepreechrboy... thank you for stopping by and for your comment!
ReplyDelete