VER EN ESPAÑOL

2.11.2010

Orbus Update...



Remember Orbus? He is four and a half months old now. A few thoughts on the analogy that continues to unfold around his rescue:

Orbus is going to be bigger than I imagined.

I should remember that about the people that God puts in my path to witness to as well. Only He knows their potential, which has nothing to do with their past and everything to do with His grace in their lives. I should not limit my expectations for anyone who has opened his heart to the Savior.

The insignificant action of bringing Orbus home radically altered his destiny.

I should be more expectant of opportunities to see the extraordinary in the midst of the ordinary. Rescuing is at the heart of the work of God's kingdom. I don't need to be an EMT to do it. It can be done through simple actions like taking someone for coffee, responding thoughtfully to an email, being a good listener, and sincerely answering the questions I get asked. Being a part of someone finding Jesus makes me feel like I get the parable of the lost sheep: “Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.” (Luke 15:6b AV)

Orbus is part of the family now.

He is not the handsomest dog around; his bark is more like an alternating whine-growl, growl-whine (he gets his whole body into it, though); he likes "biting" the water coming out of the hose; when kids start showing up for church, he crawls under the rattan couch in my office and pretends to sleep.

But, for all of that, we love him and he loves us back. He and Tango-the-cat are great friends... at first Tango-the-cat was sending him end over end across the floor, but lately it has been payback time. Anyway, he is just one of us now and we do not dwell on the weirdness.

Since I gave my heart to Jesus, I have been part of God's family. I find myself getting along with people that I used to think were pretty weird. Actually they still are, kind of. But then I think: my putting up with their weirdness can't possibly be harder than their putting up with my weirdness. Anyway, I am just one of them now and they don't dwell a whole lot on the weirdness. “...he hath made us accepted in the beloved.” (Eph 1:6 AV)

Orbus has started learning basic commands and obedience.


Our niece, Tina, worked with him for three weeks while she was here with her Mom. Sadly, they had to return home a few days ago. That means that if I do not persist with his training, he will end up being more of a bother than a blessing.


People here start to learn obedience to Jesus. If I do not persist with their training, they could end up being more of a bother than a blessing in the work of God's kingdom. When it comes to our approach to God and His Word, selective obedience is no obedience at all.


One thing, though, really bugs me about Orbus!


He never says "thank you". He has no clue how lucky he is. I think he is happy just because I feed him, pet him, and give him things to chew on. He has no appreciation of what we have gone through for his sake. He is such an ingrate!

I don't like this part of the analogy because, when I think about it, it is amazing that God does not toss me out on my ear from time to time. I would never confess to harboring some sense of entitlement, but that is exactly how I act. Somehow, it is a given that my basic needs and wants will be covered... that if I suffer, it will not be for long... that if God takes away now, it is because he intends to give more later.

Orbus is a dog... I have to cut him some slack. But what's my excuse?

Following the tragedy in Haiti and remembering some of our post-hurricane days in Cancun, I have to ask myself an embarrassing question: when was the last time I said "thank you, Lord" for: waking up today... a roof... loved ones still here with me... a little water to drink... enough water to bathe in... hot water to bathe in... being able to brush my teeth... something -anything- to eat... clothes... clean clothes... shoes... a Dr. and meds when I need them...?

How do I so easily forget that if I have been rescued by Jesus for all eternity, then anything else I get is just icing on the cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment