"A good book is the precious life-blood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life." -Milton's Aeropagitica.
I have just a couple of books that might qualify as rare. This is one of them...
"Life and Writings of Juan de Valdes" by Benjamin B. Wiffen. The collaboration between Mr. Wiffen and Don Luis Usóz i Rio in the 19th century to resurrect the lives and writings of 16th century Spanish Reformers is nothing short of an academic marvel. That and Eduard Boehmer's efforts following their demise to finish and achieve the publication of their larger work constitute a lesser known microcosm of Christian history.
This work includes Valdes' "One Hundred and Ten Considerations". It was written in the mid-1500's by a Spaniard... in Italian. All copies of the original edition were suppressed by the Spanish Inquisition. This translation from Italian to English was done in the mid-1800's. So, it reads a bit differently than most books today.
This guy was another master of really long sentences... reminds me of Jonathan Edwards. I have always strived for economy of words, as if it were the only proper way to write effectively. But, I have found a virtue in the way they did it. It was not verbosity for its own sake. It was precision of thought and thoroughness. So much so that, in order to digest the author's intent, you have to (well, at least I have to) go back and read again... with concentration. It has made me learn more.
What really cranks my truck, though, is that Valdés' Considerations are Christ-centered. Here is a sample (oh, and notice how many sentences I quote):
Conisderation 107 opens this way:
"The more profoundly I occupy myself in meditating upon the benefit of Christ, considering that He is in all, and supreme in all those who accept Him, the more do I marvel that all men do not run after, and embrace, and enthrone Him in their hearts, since remission of sins and reconciliation with God, and consequently immortality and life, are offered to them gratuitously in Christ." - Life and Writings of Juan de Valdes by Benjamin B. Wiffen, p. 557
As far as content, he reads like an Oswald Chambers for 16th Century Spain.
I wouldn't just number my devotional thoughts from one to one hundred and ten and expect people to want to read them, but he does. Valdes' Considerations are roughly 2-4 pages each, about the size of a blog entry, self contained, yet a progression in thought is followed from one to the next. So, he makes you stop to "consider" something, while piquing your interest in coming back to consider the next thing.
Please keep in mind that the Reformation in Spain was not like in Germany and other parts of Europe. There were a couple of cells of "by faith alone" believers in Christ in the cities of Valladolid and Seville. Most did not come from the working class. They were from high society and academia: people who survived only by fleeing the country.
But out of that handful came a crystalline testimony. Through their efforts: the first Spanish New Testament in 1543... the entire Bible in 1569... along with other writings like these of Valdés. The WORD got out!! Sends shivers down my spine... The boldness and the sacrifice and the out and out love for Jesus.
It is easy for me to pick on what I don't like about Protestant Reformers. But I thank my lucky stars... no, I mean God... that He prepared and preserved these few uniquely qualified servants. Countless numbers of people are eternally better off because of them.
It takes a village? Nah... just a handful will do when God intends to use us!
“Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure
to give you the kingdom.” (Lu 12:32)
-------

Always informative and thought provoking. Causes me to pause, to reflect, to absorb what God has said and done through others throughout the centuries...and still does today. Thank you.
ReplyDelete