VER EN ESPAÑOL

2.08.2014

A Clarification...

Why we ask for prayer...

11:40 pm, Thursday, Feb. 06, 2014, the second of Linda's three-night hospital stay.

About 48 hours ago, Linda was in a dangerous place with a severe bronchitis event, never good for someone who suffers from pulmonary hypertension and a weak heart. The deep, unstoppable coughing left her exhausted, her heart rate was rapid and unstable.

That afternoon, she and I had shared a few sweet moments. Leaving the first Doctor's appointment at noon, she said, "I am sorry to put you through this: You did not sign up for this... I am so sad to put all of you (family) through this." Later at our kitchen table: "Will you be able to continue in the ministry when I am not here? That is what I worry about." On the way to the appointment with the specialist that night: It's so hard sometimes to hang on, but that doesn't mean that I'm giving up."

About 48 hours ago, I sent word via email, Facebook and WhatsApp asking for prayer. I am sure that no explanation was needed. Even so, I have been trying to clarify in my own mind why it is, exactly, that we ask for prayer.

At this juncture, it has nothing to do with hitting the panic button. Linda's words were not spoken out of desperation or fear. She is aware of what her prognosis looks like. In theory, a believer in Jesus Christ died when he let Christ into his heart as Savior and Lord. He has been ready to go home ever since. 

“We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.” (2Co 5:8)

It has nothing to do with making a melodramatic play for attention. Rather, it is a request for prayerful attention to the needs of a suffering saint. Are we not commanded to pray for one another? And can we not do that more effectively with proper knowledge?

It has nothing to do with trying to arm wrestle God. The way that some people claim a promise and cling to the hope of healing -yet one more time- makes death appear to be a slap in the face, or a lapse of faith in those who prayed, or worse: that God finally did abandon us.

It has nothing to do with prayer being a painkiller. Our inner child is not screaming, "It hurts! Make it stop! Make it stop!" We are not trying to escape reality or deaden the pain.

We ask for prayer...

...because we seek consolation more than deliverance; the kind that only the Holy Spirit can give; the kind that allows us to live with eyes wide open, facing what is, facing down the fear, the bitterness, and the doubt... gazing straight through to what awaits us on the other side. 

...because we don't need a painkiller as much as we need the "Pain-User". There is little promise of pleasantness here. Yet, there is assurance of bliss, absence of pain and satisfaction in His presence forever.
“For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus’ sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.” (2Co 4:11)
...because, most importantly, others are watching, particularly those closest to us. They grew up hearing us talk about how we came to Jesus precisely because of what lay ahead. Well, "ahead" is here.
“I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness,...” (Ps 71:16)
Psalm 71 is for older adults. We tire of testimonies that end with, "Thank the Lord, I am better", followed by broken vows about letting God be in control as never before. The borrowed time we live on should be for Him. We should continue to exalt our Savior and make plain the path to eternal salvation. There is still only one door open to heaven:
“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (Joh 14:6)
There comes a time when chasing after desperate counter-measures to avoid the inevitable is not as fitting a testimony as staring death in the face with the same confidence as the Apostle Paul. We don't want to waver in faith, especially when our crossing over seems closer at hand.

“...stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.” (1Co 16:13)


No comments:

Post a Comment