Why symmetrical blogs in English and Spanish?” (PART II)
They are a tool that I think God uses to protect me.
Being able to project one message in two languages directed at people in two different countries is a healthy way to evaluate my overall perspective.
As I put the final touches on a blog entry, I re-read it with this in mind: if an entry seems more relevant to one audience than to the other, than it probably needs work before publishing it anywhere.
We are -at least in theory- heralds of a message of univeral import based on absolute truth.
“Absolute” means fixed, unchanging, touching everything and everyone with equal weight. We who have come to Christ and committed our lives to His service, discover that absolute truth is the Bible that God left to us.
“Of universal import” includes that I share the same condition of sinfulness, guilt and judgment with every other human being. It means that what God the Son descended from heaven to do for us via his death and resurrection is the only hope that God offers to any human being! I, along with every other human being, either repent and believe the Gospel, or face condemnation and judgment. “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (John 3:36)
We are heralds.
We are also street sweepers.
“Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:” (2 Corinthians 6:3) The essence of not being a stumblingblock is to clear the path between a fellow human being and God. It is our duty to keep the road as uncluttered as possible of anything that might obfuscate someone else's vision of the raw, passionate, infinite love of Jesus Christ for his soul.
I should be ashamed of the trash that I keep littering the roadway with! I really do not have anything weightier or more portentous to talk about around my fellow man than John 3:36.
My concept of “symmetrical” blogs goes beyond design, template code and accuracy of translation. I want symmetry in intent and content that communicates the same level of legitimacy, accuracy, and truth for anyone who might read.
I feel constrained to strive for an English blog free of “mexicanisms” and a Spanish blog free of “americanisms”. If I have been a good street sweeper, my message will be Christocentric... on both sides; free of Greg's idiosyncrasies... on both sides.
Back in the day, one of the first hymns that Linda and I learned to sing in church was Channels Only. It still expresses our desire today.
They are a tool that I think God uses to protect me.
Being able to project one message in two languages directed at people in two different countries is a healthy way to evaluate my overall perspective.
As I put the final touches on a blog entry, I re-read it with this in mind: if an entry seems more relevant to one audience than to the other, than it probably needs work before publishing it anywhere.
We are -at least in theory- heralds of a message of univeral import based on absolute truth.
“Absolute” means fixed, unchanging, touching everything and everyone with equal weight. We who have come to Christ and committed our lives to His service, discover that absolute truth is the Bible that God left to us.
“Of universal import” includes that I share the same condition of sinfulness, guilt and judgment with every other human being. It means that what God the Son descended from heaven to do for us via his death and resurrection is the only hope that God offers to any human being! I, along with every other human being, either repent and believe the Gospel, or face condemnation and judgment. “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (John 3:36)
We are heralds.
We are also street sweepers.
“Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:” (2 Corinthians 6:3) The essence of not being a stumblingblock is to clear the path between a fellow human being and God. It is our duty to keep the road as uncluttered as possible of anything that might obfuscate someone else's vision of the raw, passionate, infinite love of Jesus Christ for his soul.
I should be ashamed of the trash that I keep littering the roadway with! I really do not have anything weightier or more portentous to talk about around my fellow man than John 3:36.
My concept of “symmetrical” blogs goes beyond design, template code and accuracy of translation. I want symmetry in intent and content that communicates the same level of legitimacy, accuracy, and truth for anyone who might read.
I feel constrained to strive for an English blog free of “mexicanisms” and a Spanish blog free of “americanisms”. If I have been a good street sweeper, my message will be Christocentric... on both sides; free of Greg's idiosyncrasies... on both sides.
Back in the day, one of the first hymns that Linda and I learned to sing in church was Channels Only. It still expresses our desire today.
(5th verse and chorus)
Jesus, fill now with Thy Spirit
Hearts that full surrender know;
That the streams of living water
From our inner self may flow.
Chorus:
Channels only, blessed Master,
But with all Thy wondrous power
Flowing through us, Thou canst use us
Every day and every hour.
Great post, brother, and a wonderful reminder for me to make the main thing the plain thing and the plain thing the main thing. The Gospel is trans-cultural, trans-temporal, and trans-situational. If you can't proclaim the same Gospel in the States or in Latin America, then you're not proclaiming the Gospel. We could also add teens and adults, and so many other demographical identifiers. Good stuff, as usual!
ReplyDeleteTravis... thank you for reading and commenting. I really appreciate the encouraging word! Let´s pray for each other: if there is anyone who needs to stay "on message" today, it is God's people!
ReplyDelete¡Un abrazote! (a big hug)
Ah... you have well voiced the very motive behind my avoidance of popular culture, whether religious or secular, on my blog. Timelessness is my goal. That's also why I don't give a month, day, and year on each post. "I feel constrained to strive for an English blog free of “mexicanisms” and a Spanish blog free of “americanisms”." Cool...
ReplyDeleteGood point! If it is worth reading today, it should be just as valuable 10, 20, 100 years from now, right? Lord help us to keep the right focus... thanks for the comment!
ReplyDelete'They are a tool that I think God uses to protect me.
ReplyDeleteBeing able to project one message in two languages directed at people in two different countries is a healthy way to evaluate my overall perspective.'
This makes sense to me.