(Mexico's Independence Day celebrations last week (Sep 15-16) helped me with finishing this entry.)
“Leaving America is like losing twenty pounds and finding a new girlfriend.” Phil Ochs
I'm pretty sure that this 60's folk singer had different reasons for such a sentiment than I might have. But, I must confess that, in my own way, I agree!
Roots are a powerful thing... the pull of our childhood memories, the love of family... sometimes I miss family so badly that it hurts.
Wausau, WI, where Linda was hospitalized in June, happens to be close to family: my niece and her husband in Wausau; Dad, sister and brother-in-law 40 minutes north in Tomahawk; Mom in an Alzheimer's unit twenty minutes east of them in Rhinelander; a few miles south of Rhinelander lies Lake Julia, where my grandparents had their resort when I was growing up.
Memories so clear and sweet that they hurt; smells so familiar that you are instantly carried back 50 years; memories that make you think that something of the souls of departed loved ones still inhabits the places where you knew them.
Wausau, WI, happens to be the same city where we attended a church in 1972-73. It was less than an hour's drive from our farm west of Merrill. The pastor, Gilbert Nemeth, opened our hearts and minds in so many ways in our first months after committing our lives to Christ.
In spite of my roots and the powerful pull that they still have over me, I started feeling... restrained, closed in, almost claustrophobic... nobody's fault... the attention for Linda at the hospital was superb; the time with family was priceless beyond words.
But, there is a part of me that does not belong to family or to the beautiful State of Wisconsin. It is the part that responds with joy and fullness as I finally step off the plane again in Cancun.
At times, I think I must be insane!
I hate the heat... always have. The first couple of weeks back, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I enjoy the beach about as much as going to the hospital. Give me a cabin in snowy mountain country and a coffee pot. (Well, and a new Kindle 3G, too, so that I can sit and read all day.)
I hated the food... but not anymore. Now I even put hot sauce in my oatmeal.
I didn't love or hate Mexicans. I never got to know one until university.
What started in 1975 as an attempt to be obedient to God's will, evolved into a deep love and gratitude. We are as proud now to be residents of Mexico as some folks are of being American! We love our adopted homeland! We love Mexico! We love the people God has allowed us to have in our lives! Some things are harder, but then, some things are easier, too.
So, enter the folk singer's statement. Why would I feel like that? For starters, because God lets us have a ministry... anywhere would do... but since it is here, we love it here! Somehow, I am not complete without it.
Where is your beloved country? Mine is heaven; mine is the enjoyment of his will for my life. I could never be happier than in the place where God allows me that special measure of usefulness in his kingdom.
I hope that the perfect will of God is at least as real and enriching and sustaining for you as it has been been for me!
“Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.” (Isaiah 58:14)
“Leaving America is like losing twenty pounds and finding a new girlfriend.” Phil Ochs
I'm pretty sure that this 60's folk singer had different reasons for such a sentiment than I might have. But, I must confess that, in my own way, I agree!
Roots are a powerful thing... the pull of our childhood memories, the love of family... sometimes I miss family so badly that it hurts.
Wausau, WI, where Linda was hospitalized in June, happens to be close to family: my niece and her husband in Wausau; Dad, sister and brother-in-law 40 minutes north in Tomahawk; Mom in an Alzheimer's unit twenty minutes east of them in Rhinelander; a few miles south of Rhinelander lies Lake Julia, where my grandparents had their resort when I was growing up.
Memories so clear and sweet that they hurt; smells so familiar that you are instantly carried back 50 years; memories that make you think that something of the souls of departed loved ones still inhabits the places where you knew them.
Wausau, WI, happens to be the same city where we attended a church in 1972-73. It was less than an hour's drive from our farm west of Merrill. The pastor, Gilbert Nemeth, opened our hearts and minds in so many ways in our first months after committing our lives to Christ.
In spite of my roots and the powerful pull that they still have over me, I started feeling... restrained, closed in, almost claustrophobic... nobody's fault... the attention for Linda at the hospital was superb; the time with family was priceless beyond words.
But, there is a part of me that does not belong to family or to the beautiful State of Wisconsin. It is the part that responds with joy and fullness as I finally step off the plane again in Cancun.
At times, I think I must be insane!
I hate the heat... always have. The first couple of weeks back, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I enjoy the beach about as much as going to the hospital. Give me a cabin in snowy mountain country and a coffee pot. (Well, and a new Kindle 3G, too, so that I can sit and read all day.)
I hated the food... but not anymore. Now I even put hot sauce in my oatmeal.
I didn't love or hate Mexicans. I never got to know one until university.
What started in 1975 as an attempt to be obedient to God's will, evolved into a deep love and gratitude. We are as proud now to be residents of Mexico as some folks are of being American! We love our adopted homeland! We love Mexico! We love the people God has allowed us to have in our lives! Some things are harder, but then, some things are easier, too.
So, enter the folk singer's statement. Why would I feel like that? For starters, because God lets us have a ministry... anywhere would do... but since it is here, we love it here! Somehow, I am not complete without it.
Where is your beloved country? Mine is heaven; mine is the enjoyment of his will for my life. I could never be happier than in the place where God allows me that special measure of usefulness in his kingdom.
I hope that the perfect will of God is at least as real and enriching and sustaining for you as it has been been for me!
“Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.” (Isaiah 58:14)
Beautiful... Thanks my friend for such clarity. I is always such a pleasure to read your writing.
ReplyDeleteNearly 30 years in a place gives a person the opportunity to love or hate where they are and what they do. God's will is good, perfect and acceptable.
ReplyDeleteBro Jerry Locke
I am Gilbert Nemeth's youngest daughter, Beth. My daughter read your blog because it was posted on her friend's facebook site, shared it with me, then I shared it with my dad. He does not have a computer, so I read it to him over the phone (he now lives in Texas and I live in Idaho). It was such a blessing to hear how God is working through you after all these years! It blessed my dad more than you could know. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteBeth, I hope you see this. I am just overwhelmed! What a joy to read your note! We have nothing but the fondest memories of your family. Thank you for letting me know about this.
ReplyDeleteI would love to be able to say hello to your dad. If that might be possible, maybe you could email me?
Greg, I am Gilbert Nemeth's oldest daughter, Victoria. My sister, Beth sent me your blog in an email. Your writing was a great blessing to me!
ReplyDeleteThank you. 1 Peter 1:25
Thank you, Victoria. You guys can't imagine what a joy it is to hear from you like this. It just doesn´t seem real that you found us the way you did. We would enjoy hearing from you again! Lord bless you...
ReplyDeleteGREAT BLOG,but.....I disagree with you about your view of the beach, haha. I love to sit on the beach and watch God's beautiful ocean - even though i do it from my wheelchair,which is hard to get thru the sand even when i get to borrow a beach wheelchair. Love ya, Kimmy`
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Kim, for commenting on my blog. Great hearing from you!!
ReplyDeleteHey, enjoy the beach! You can always count on me to NOT help you with your chair! hahaha.